Sunday, August 11, 2024

My Sister. My Rock.

The one thing I vividly remember from when we were growing up is mom’s constant reminder that we must love each other. She used to warn us that one day, when she and dad were no longer with us or able to care for us, we would have no one left but each other. 

She would tell me it’s my job to care for you when she is not around, and she and dad both made it my responsibility to be a good example for you. They said that because I am older, I need to learn things right so you can easily emulate me, and not lead you to do wrong. Talk about dodging parental responsibility, eh?! 

I tried my best to be all that. But in the past couple of years since we have lost so much of our parents, literally and otherwise, I have felt like the roles have reversed. I have felt like you are the one I come to for advice and strength, for keeping my mind together and quieting down my tachycardiac heart and my shaking hands. 

I have always been the one with all the answers until it was time go parent our parents. That’s when you, the ultimate, most devoted, loving, caring and selfless parent I know, became my parent and adviser. 

I thank God every day that He made you and I thank Him twice that He made you my sister. 

I love you now more than yesterday and definitely less than tomorrow. 

My heart is full to see what a beautiful life you’ve built, my baby sister, and it is also anxious to see what follows! 

Have the best day ever! Cannot wait to see you soon. I miss your hugs the most when we’re apart! 


From another summer, a long time ago



No comments: