Tuesday, February 11, 2020

To My Brother-In-Law

My brother-in-law came into our family some 24 years ago or so … He was 17 at the time. He has grown up with us, and we have gotten older with him. To say that he feels more like a blood relative than an in-law is an understatement.

Although we’ve had our differences, we’ve made so many beautiful memories together – beach trips, parties, weddings, and baptisms, family visits – a lifetime. Today, on his birthday, these memories are all coming back. They make me smile, they make me laugh out loud, and sometimes make me shake my head and grin, too ... 

The memories that are the dearest to me are those where I felt like, despite any difference of opinion (what would families be without those, eh?!), we have all let our guard down and we embraced each other as true relatives, branches on the same family tree. Those are the moments when I know he’s gotten our back and I hope he knows we’ve got his - no matter what …

There were beach trips in Romania where I watched the love between him and my sister bud and grow; there were nights in clubs as we were all experiencing our younger years – he is has always been a good companion for any kind of fun-having activity. Then, there were the Canada – US years where I watched him and my sister become parents and grow into wonderful, well-rounded adults.

His mainstay in our family has always been strong and my sister’s reliance on him constant … Their love always there, unfettered. It is an understatement to say that this family would not be the same without him. 

Happy birthday, my friend! Happy new year of life and may we make ever so many more memories going forward together. Love having you in this family! Truly.


"When he was little and I was young" - this is how far back we go: cca 1996-1997

No comments: