Saturday, February 27, 2021

Glorious Day!

On February 27, …


… 1560, the treaty that expelled the French from Scotland was signed.
… 1776, the Battle of Moore's Creek Bridge in North Carolina broke up a Loyalist militia during the American Revolutionary War. (Some things are awfully stubborn to go away, aren't they?!)
… 1812, poet Lord Byron gave his first address as a member of the House of Lords.
… 1860, Lincoln made a speech at Cooper Union in New York that was largely responsible for his election to the presidency.
… 1900, the Brits founded the Labour Party.
… 1902, Detroit, MI held its first auto show. (Coincidence? Methinks not!)
… 1922, a challenge to the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, allowing women the right to vote, is rebuffed by the Supreme Court. (as it should have been!)
… 1940 – Carbon 14 (or radiocarbon) is discovered.
... Constantine the Great, the emperor (272), John Steinbeck, the Nobel Prize-winning writer (1902), Joanne Woodward, the actress (1930), and Dame Elizabeth Taylor (1932) were born.

We also have a full moon today and today is also, … International Polar Bear Day. (no joke!)

So many important milestones, but the most important one is … you!

Reading through all of them reminded me of you: serious and professional, dark, funny, explosive, literary, lover of creatures and everything British, artsy, principled and opinionated, admirer of history and politics, as good with your hands as you are with your brain, hopeless soldier of love, respectful and all wrapped up in jest and clever wit. 

Only you are much, much more:  my love, my friend, my soul twin, my mate in strangeness, my anchor, my calming waters.

Happy birthday, my love! I am forever blessed that I get to spend another day to celebrate you.

No comments: