Wednesday, February 10, 2021

The Baby Is 10!

"Shake dreams from your hair

My pretty child, my sweet one.

Choose the day and choose the sign of your day

The day's divinity

First thing you see.” (Jim Morrison - Awake)


I remember when I saw you the first time. You were a couple of months old. I tried to come earlier, to be there for your birth but you had to come in your own due time. So, you came a little ways after I had left. 


I came back and you were maybe 2-3 months old and your little baby face was not a baby face at all. It was wide awake, aware, almost judgmental. Your dad said you looked so smart that you stared at everyone in the room as if we were all too stupid for you. It was probably true. We are. 


When did the 10 years go, I don’t know?!

You are becoming such an amazing human, Kev-Kev, that I don’t even know where to begin with my wonder. 


Your heart is amazing. You’re kind and you’re thoughtful. You share like no one else I know. You wait your turn. You’re grateful. You take scraps and make them better. You are clever. There is not one conversation we have that you’re not leaving me either thinking differently or laughing. You make us better as people and more fun as a family. 


Your quick temper reminds us all that you’re one of us, after all! As much peace as you’re capable of, your tantrums are punchy but quick ... They die as fast as they’ve come. You’re a typical baby who just wants to be heard. 


You have more wisdom than it should be legal for being 10. You’re a kids’ kid and an adult thinker all in one small body! Books and the written word are your greatest love (maybe only second to cats?!) and God, am I grateful for that! You read and know beyond your years. 


The creatures! Oh, they are your passion. You love them with every pore in your body, it seems. 


My favorite memory of you is this: a couple of years ago, we walked down the street to grab some brunch at your favorite place. After eating, you got a candy (of course!)  from the hostess’s desk and because you never stop talking, it fell out of your mouth as we were walking down the street. I thought you’d pick it up and eat it, but of course you didn’t. You looked at it with your head cocked to one side and said “Oh, I will leave it there for the ants.” You’re our little communicator with the animal kingdom, our little messenger, our cat and dog and bunny and owl and ladybug and all the creatures’ whisperer. 


You hear a vibration of the world that we don’t. It’s a world of wonder and magic and love. We trust in you that it does exist. Thank you for sharing that world with us, sweet Kev. May the wonder and the growth never stop. 


I’m not the best aunt in the whole wild world, like you say, but you are our best little (in stature, not in mind) wild man in the whole world! We love you today on your birthday and forevermore ... 




No comments: